(I am doing and I do)
|
Present continuous (I am doing)
Use the continuous for something that is
Happening at or around the time of speaking.
The action is not finished.
|
Present simple(I do)
Use the simple for tings in general or things that happen repeatedly.
|
|
è The
water is boiling. Can you turn it off?
è Listen
to those people. What language are they speaking?
è Let’s
go out. It isn’t raining now.
è ‘Don’t
disturb me. I’m busy. ’ ‘Why? What are you doing?’
è I’m
going to bed now. Goodnight!
è Maria
is in Britain at the moment. She’s learning English.
Use the continuous for a temporary situation.
->I’m living with some friends until I find a flat.
-> You’re working hard today. ‘yes, I ‘ve got a lot to do.’
|
-> Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.
-> Excuse me, do you speak
English?.
-It doesn’t rain very much in summer.
-What do you usually do at weekends?
-what do you do? (=what’s your job)
-I always go to bed before midnight.
-Most people learn to swim when they are children.
Use the simple for a permanent situation:
è My
parents live in London. They have lived there all their lives.
è John
isn’t lazy. He works very hard most of the time.
|
I always do and I always doing
Usually we say ‘I always do something’ (=I do it every
time):
I always go to work by car. (not I’m always going)
-I ‘ve lost my pen again. I’m always losing things.
‘I’m always losing things’ does not mean that I lose things
every time. It means that I lose things too often, more often than normal.
‘You’re always -ing’
means tat you do something very often, more often than the speaker tinks is
normal or reasonable.
-your are always watching television. You should do
something more active.
-john is never satisfied. He’s
always complaining.
We use continuous tenses only for actions and happenings
(they are eating/ it is raining etc.),
Some verbs (for example, know and like) are not action
verbs. You cannot say ‘I am knowing’ or ‘they are liking’; you can only say ‘I
know’, ‘they like’.
The following verbs are not normally used in continuous
tenses:
|
Like
|
Love
|
Hate
|
Want
|
Need
|
Prefer
|
Know
|
|
Realize
|
Suppose
|
Mean
|
Understand
|
Believe
|
Remember
|
Belong
|
|
Contain
|
Consist
|
Consist
|
Depend
|
Seem.
|
--
|
--
|
è
I am hungry. I want something to eat. (not I’m
wanting.)
è
Do you understand what I mean?
è
Ann doesn’t seem very happy at the moment.
When think means ‘believe’, do not use the continuous.
è
What do you think(=believe) will happen? (not
‘what are you thinking’)
But -> you look serious. What
are you thinking about? (=What is going on in your mind?).
è
I’m thinking of giving up my job, (= I am
considering)
When have means ‘possess’ etc.., do not use the continuous.
è
We ‘re enjoying our holiday. We have a nic room
in the hotel. (not ‘we ’re having’).
è
But-We’re enjoying our holiday. We’re having a
great time.
See hear smell taste
We normally use the present simple (not continuous) with these
verbs:
è
Do you see that man over there? (not are you
seeing)
è
This room smells. Let’s open a window.
We often use can+ see/hear/smell/taste:
è
Listen! Can you hear something?
But you can use the continuous with see(I’m seeing) when the
meaning is ‘having a meeting with’(especially in the future.)
è
I’m seeing the manager tomorrow morning.
He is selfish and He is being selfish
The present continuous of be is I am being/ he is being/you
are being etc.
I’m being: I’m behaving /I’m acting
è
I can’t understand why he’s being so selfish. He
isn’t usually like that.
(being selfish=behaving selfishly
at the moment.)
But – He never thinks about other
people. He is very selfish.(not he is being)
(=he is selfish generally, not
only at the moment)
We use am/is/are being to say how
somebody is behaving. It is not usually possible in other sentences:
è
It ‘s hot today. (not ‘it is being hot’)
è
Sarah is very tired.(not ‘is being tired’)
Look and feel
You can use the present simple or continuous when you say
how somebody looks or feels now;
è
You look well today. Or you’re looking well
today.
è
How do you feel now? Or How are you feeling now?
è
but, I
usually feel tired in the morning. (not I’m usually feeling) .
No comments:
Post a Comment